I have been using motor run caps as safety caps on my Jbl 2360/Renkus 3301 combo for a while now. You don't really "hear" the cap that much because they cross over around 250hz while the horns cross over at 750hz via an electronic crossover.
I have been messing with a pair of Emilar xovers that I am going to use with a pair of DIY Altec speakers. They use 24uf caps. I found a pair of 24uf "lighting" caps which are oil caps. They look to be the same as my motor run caps. 400VAC and beefy construction.
One thing I have heard about these caps is since they are labeled as 50/60hz caps they roll off the top end. The other day I disconnected my motor run caps from the horns and hooked them up to a tweeter with no other crossover. They definitely do their job as a "bass blocker" but also do not effect the HF. I could hear no difference in the HF while using the caps or while bypassing them.
Does anyone use this type of cap? Are there any disadvantage that you guys know of? I first heard about them on Audiokarma. They are cheap, well built, have high voltage handling, and 3% tolerance. Lol normally the 5% tolerance are what I buy
Here is the link
Oil HID Lighting Capacitor - 400VAC - Aerovox Z73S4024MN








Bookmarks